The Small Business Development Corporation is the go-to organization for free and confidential advice for entrepreneurial folks in the state of New York.
If you or your business is located in New York, the SBDC can assist you getting around the roadblocks that often stop success. Through direct advice and support, the SBDC provides a variety of management services and technical assistance.
Below are just a few examples of the types of assistance provided by SBDC to small NY businesses:
- Cost analysis
- Financial planning
- Business plan development
- Legal business structures
- Loan package
- International markets
- Employee management
Where to begin with starting a business in NY
To be sure, this can be an overwhelming thought. To get started, make an appointment to receive counseling, free of charge, from your local SBDC organization. Among other talents, SBDC consultants are experts in helping you write a business plan, or the “roadmap” for your company. The assistance of an SBDC is available to anyone interested in starting a small business for the first time and who cannot afford private consulting services.
I made an appointment. Now what?
- Write down questions you have. Bring your questions and concerns to your appointment.
- Review your finances. Know what resources you have to invest in your business and how much income you will need.
- Don’t make hasty decisions. Meet with an advisor before deciding on important financial or life-changing commitments (like signing a lease or quitting your day job). Starting a business can be quite complex and take much longer than expected.
- Set a tangible goal for your meeting.
- Have a clear vision. Your advisor can help you develop one, but you need to know where you want to end up.
Where can I find info on permits and licenses?
Check out the New York Business Express website first. Additionally, the New York State Division of Licensing Services is helpful with regard to certain types of businesses. Meanwhile, NYC Business Wizard can help New York City businesses learn about the relevant permits and licenses.
Where can I register my business as a corporation?
You should visit the site of the Division of Corporations within the New York Department of State. They have answers to your questions and then some.
Where do I get a federal identification number?
This is also called a “Federal Tax Number” or “Employer Identification Number.” You can apply for an EIN in a any number of ways, including online, through the IRS website.
Ready to get started on your business journey? Simply contact your local SBDC to get the help you need to make your business dreams come true.